Key Stage 4: Why study Dance?
The BTEC Dance qualification offers progression into many areas and career pathways. You will learn the skills needed to study ‘A’ levels and higher BTEC courses. However, the skills learnt on the course are such that many colleges and universities often look for Dance in a skills base, enabling good communication and developed teamwork skills. It shows excellent resilience, critical and creative thinking.
What will I study?
- This course will give you the opportunity to explore different genres of dance.
- You will learn how to create a college/university audition piece.
- You will learn how to create, prepare for and produce a show.
- You will learn what it is like to be trained as a professional dancer.
What happens in lessons?
- You will take part and lead warm up sessions
- You will research elements of dance and learn the terminology for the different genres
- You will take part in workshops and performance in and out of school
- You will choreograph dances
- You will create a dance video
- Resilience and a passion for dance is essential as you will be required to lead and coach as well as take advice from others
How will I be assessed?
- Unit 1: Individual Showcase (Externally marked & moderated)
- Unit 2: Preparation, Performance and Production (Internally marked & externally moderated)
- Unit 4: Dance Skills (Internally marked & externally moderated)
What skills will I need?
- You will need literacy skills to write a CV and application form in a dance context.
- You will Work independently and as a team to create a show.
- You will need to be able to learn set pieces of dance as part of this course.
- The units covered will require you to analyse, assess and evaluate yourself and peers.