Key Stage 4: Why study Hospitality (Food)?
GCSE Hospitality will help you to develop many useful skills such as:
- Knowledge of the Catering and Hospitality Industry.
- Practical food preparation, cooking and service skills.
- An ability to work in a professional manner in a catering environment.
What will I study?
- You will investigate the Catering and Hospitality Industry and learn about the local, national and international employment opportunities within it.
- You will also learn about other businesses in Hospitality such as hotels, pubs, restaurants, health clubs etc.
- You will study food from around the world and how to prepare and serve it to others.
What happens in lessons?
Hospitality lessons are varied. You may:
- Carry out practical work.
- Prepare and serve food to guests at events.
- Visit Hospitality Businesses in Rotherham
- Complete written assignments.
How will I be assessed?
Hospitality involves theory work divided into twelve small booklets which is then examined in a 1 hour 15minute examination which will probably be online. This is worth 40%. A controlled assessment worth 60% is to plan and run a Hospitality event e.g MacMillan coffee event. Several small events are organised to practise first!
Hospitality units cover:
|The Catering and Hospitality Industry|
|Jobs and careers|
|Planning menus for functions|
|Teamwork and communication|
What skills will I need?
- An interest in the Catering and Hospitality Industry.
- A conscientious approach to food preparation skills.
- Good communication skills.Organisation skills to bring ingredients each week.