Clifton Community School – KS4 Results 2019
There have been many changes to examinations and performance tables over the last few years which mean that the performance tables cannot be compared like for like with those of previous years.
In the summer of 2016, the tables were changed drastically, and new headline measures were introduced:
- Progress 8 (a value-added measure)
- Attainment 8 (an average points score measure)
In 2017, students sat the first of the reformed GCSEs in Maths, English Language and English Literature which are graded 9-1 rather than A*-G. These courses are 100% final exam, with no controlled assessment. Approximately half the remaining GCSEs reformed to 9-1 in 2018, whilst other GCSEs remain A*-G, with the remainder reforming in 2019.
Revised headline measures for 2019 include:
- Grade 5-9 in both English and Maths (Good pass)
- Progress 8
- Attainment 8
- Ebacc Average Points Score
- Grade 4-9 in both English and Maths (Standard pass) may also be published but is not a headline measure.
|Old Grade||Approx. Equivalent|
Students achieving below a grade 4 will be required to continue to study English and/or Maths post- 16 until a “standard pass” is achieved.
Key Stage 2 Average Point Score on Entry
The Clifton Key Stage 2 Average Point Score for the 2019 Year 11 cohort was significantly below the national average. It equates approximately to an average of a level 3b in English and Maths.
|2018 Results||2019 Results|
|Progress 8||+0.04||+0.15 TBC|
|4+ in Ma & Eng||40%||40%|
|5+ in Ma & Eng||17%||22%|
|English Baccalaureate APS||2.48||2.60|
* Revised Progress 8 measures will be published once confirmed by the Department for Education.
Progress 8 and Attainment 8 count only the following subjects:
- English (double weighted if both language and literature are taken)
- Maths (double weighted)
- Best 3 Ebacc subjects (Modern Foreign Language, History, Geography, Science, Computing)
- Best 3 other approved qualifications from the list published by the Department of Education
Progress 8 is a value-added measure. Clifton’s Progress 8 score of +0.15 means that on average, students have made more progress than students have made nationally (calculated by the government based on KS2 attainment).
Attainment 8 is an attainment measure. 40 = average grade of a grade C.
**The English Baccalaureate (Ebacc) is a combination of subjects which the government believes to be the foundation of a good academic education. At Clifton, these subjects are offered but not all are compulsory. The Ebacc must include: English, maths, two sciences, history or geography and a Modern Foreign Language).