Latest Football Results

Yesterday was another very pleasant morning for the Football teams.We played 4 fixtures against Wickersley (7-10). Year 7 & Year 8 played at Middle Lane and 9 & 10 played at Wickersley.
Most of the Y11 team were involved in the Soap box challenge in Clifton Park so their fixture was postponed.

You will see the more indepth reports that the team managers sent out but unfortunately all year groups found the Wickersley nut tough to crack.

The Y10’s were excellent losing a hard fought contest 3-1. We were without our leading scorer Josh Woodcock who was representing Rotherham United boys in Leeds. Nathan Murr in the middle of midfield had other commitments but still wanted to do his bit for school and turned up to play the first half. We missed his considerable presence in the second half.

Despite missing some of our key players it was very positive to see other players get more game time and really step up to the plate. We shaded the first half and despite falling behind after 15 minutes our boys really stuck to their task and scored the best team goal I have seen from them in 4 years of coaching them. A one touch passing move was finished high into the roof of the net by Lukas Sivak to send us in level at the break.

Wickersley brought the game to us in the second half and scored with an unchallenged header from a corner. We rallied again and pushed forward looking for the equaliser. Unfortunately we weren’t able to find it and a break away goal 3 minutes from time ended our challenge.

Amin Ibdali was man of the match with an excellent performance at centre back. Once more the boys on both teams were a credit and behaved exceptionally well.

We have a cup game at Wath on Monday night (please remind the team when you see them).

A fantastic performance from the Y7s this morning in which the score line doesn’t reflect our efforts. In a match dominated by Clifton for the second week in a row we were on the end of a narrow 3-2 defeat.

We started well moving the ball around confidently and tested the keeper with a few early shots, with Omar and Josh looking as lively as ever down the wings. Half way through the first half a corner swung in by Josh was cleared off the line after a shot from Finley. The boys were high in confidence and were defending really well until they were undone by a neat few passes in which the Wickersley striker finished confidently.

After a pep talk at half time the boys started the second half well and tested the keeper with a few long range shots, about 10 minutes we got our reward after a long throw from Bilaal was turned in at the back post by Josh. The boys continued to be on top but were again undone by a long ball into the box which was expertly finished by the Wickersley striker. The boys were a little deflated for about 5 minutes in which Wickersley took advantage and got a 3rd from the penalty spot after their man was brought down after a miss timed challenge.

The 3rd goal appeared to rejuvenate our lads and pulled one back after a run down the line and a shot from the edge of the area found the bottom corner from Omar. We kept on pushing and got another cleared off the line but again it wasn’t to be our day. Today’s man of the match was Josh Humphries with special mentions going to Dylan Whatley on his commanding performance at CB and Finley Chadburn on taking the captains armband for the first time today. We move on to Wednesday and hope we can grab a win that our performances have deserved.

Please congratulate the lads on their efforts.
Luke Steane
Bilaal Farooq
Owen Bailey
Kurtis rich
Dylan Whatley
Omar Shafia
Josh Humphries
Finley Chadburn
David Santana
Marek Sivak
Email Gurgle

Y8 are still searching for their first win of the season, but this team are starting to show some promise!

Late injuries during the warm up forced Y8 to borrow a couple of Y7 players this morning, who slotted in to the team with no problems. They showed no fear against a Wickersley team, who had players that could have easily passed for older students given their size and build, a couple of them had a better 5 o’clock shadow than Mr Bennett!

Clifton got off to a good start, looking comfortable going forward and in defence, the usual spine of Lucas Chandler, Chad Carney and Jamie Hartley as keeper, Center back and Center Midfield respectively.

The first two goals were due to a lack of communication, a ball being played through on goal for an easy finish for the first, the second, a set piece corner where players didn’t mark their men. Something we need to work on in training!

Clifton didn’t give up. A delicious back heel flick from Jack Swales which nutmegged a Wickersley defender, played in Jamie Hartley, who forced a save from the keeper when he drilled it at him from 25 yards.

Unfortunately, another injury to our keeper forced Jamie to go in net. But he turned provider for Logan Hewitt. A quick goal kick up to Logan played a bobbled ball through on goal, Logan dispatched this with a superb lob to put Clifton back in it.

with a minute left of the first half, Wickersley bungled a goal home from a set piece, Clifton failing to clear their lines.

In the second half. Clifton were galvanised at the back, Wickersley having no joy and were restricted to shots from long range. Clifton had a host of chances, Chad Carney moving into midfield and finding Logan Hewitt up top, unfortunately not being able to convert. Logan chased every ball and led the front line superbly.

A late, controversial penalty saw Wickersley score from the spot. A 4-1 scoreline flattering the visitors slightly as Clifton played some fantastic football.

Myself, Mr Bennett and Mr Davis could not have been prouder today, please congratulate the lads when you see them:

Lucas Chandler
Logan Hewitt
Jamie Hartley
Callum Billen
Chad Carney (C)
Harris Hussain
Jack Swales
Muhammad Nawaz
Sofian Nawaz
Peter Walker


Frantsek Bunda (ran all day!!)
Muhammad Caderza
Marian Ziga
Armaan Ali

First time this season I have genuinely felt the lads were hard done by with the result.

Y9 lads were excellent today. Knowing we had Wickersley, notoriously strong at football, some could’ve been forgiven for hiding in bed but on a beautiful Autumnal morning, with perfect conditions for our expansive passing game, we turned out our largest squad so far of 13.

They arrived really professionally in uniform which set the tone for their great attitude during the match.

First half we were dominant for the first 20 mins but couldn’t find the net. They had scored early against the run of play to lead 1 – 0. Unfortunately a five minute lapse in concentration cost us. A few finger were being pointed and heads were dropped for a daft five minutes where we conceded another 4. 5 – 0 half-time.

Pep-talk at half-time had the desired effect with us scoring straight after the restart. Mihai Toma looping a ball over the top for Julius Gazi to run through and nod the ball home over the keeper.

Having made changes at half-time to ensure everyone got a fair run we were slightly weakened at the back and Wickersley took advantage down the left-hand side. They put in some excellent crosses and ended up scoring another 3 to win 8 – 1. Special mention has to go to joint man of the match Julius Gazi who had an excellent game with one particular highlight being a shot from 40 yards that had their keeper watching as it flew towards the top corner only to hit the post and bounce out. Great effort.

Really proud of the lads this morning, our best performance so far with signs of them getting better as a team.

Note to self – try to care a bit more about defending!!

Please give the lads a pat on the back if you see them:

Sohail Khan
Ghulam Ali
Amaan Anjum
Mihai Toma
Alexandru Toma
Soaib Shafia (MOM)
Ibrahim Al-Hashem
Alijah Mustafa
Dylan Sanderson
Gul Yshak
Zar Yshak
Zain Hassan
Julius Gazi (1) (MOM)