This contains information current practice and the history of dance and drama in the UK
The British Council is a good starting point if investigating contemporary practitioners.
- ISBN 0-88133-350-6 A Primer for Choreographers by Lois Ellfeldt
- ISBN 13: 978-0-7360-4156-0 Conditioning for Dance by Eric Franklin
- ISBN: 9780900326301 Freestyle Dance by Anna Jones
English Literature and Language
These articles will give Year 10 a head start for studying the set texts for Literature and will help Year 11 to deepen their knowledge of the novel and plays.
GCSE Articles linked to The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
GCSE Articles linked to An Inspector Calls
GCSE Articles linked to Shakespeare
Check out the Guardian website – any articles that look interesting to you.
Recommended Reading for Pleasure
- Mrs Mather suggests ‘The Book Thief’ by Markus Zusak
- Miss Beard suggests ‘1984’ by George Orwell
- Miss Foster suggests ‘Noughts and Crosses’ by Malorie Blackman
- Miss Wilkinson suggests ‘Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire’ by J.K. Rowling
- Miss Pyott suggests ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ by Margaret Atwood
- Miss Alison suggests ‘Animal Farm’ by George Orwell
- Miss Stephen suggests ‘The Colour Purple’ by Alice Walker
- Miss St Pierre suggests ‘Lord of the Flies’ by William Golding
- Miss Beaumont suggests ‘Anne of Green Gables’ by L.M. Montgomery
- Miss Hewitt suggests ‘I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings’ by Maya Angelou
- Miss Purshouse suggests the ‘Enhanced’ series by T.C. Edge
- Miss Croggon suggest ‘A series of Unfortunate Events’ by Lemony Snicket
- Real Food: What to Eat and Why by Nina Planck
- The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Junk Food by Stan Berenstain and Jan Berenstain
- French Kids Eat Everything: How Our Family Moved to France, Cured Picky Eating, Banned Snacking, and Discovered 10 Simple Rules for Raising Happy, Healthy Eaters by Karen Le Billon
- The Healthiest Diet on the Planet: Why the Foods You Love – Pizza, Pancakes, Potatoes, Pasta, and More – Are the Solution to Preventing Disease and Looking and Feeling Your Best by John A. McDougall
- Delia Smith – any of her cookery books
- Jamie Oliver – any of his cookery books
- Nigella Lawson – any of her cookery books
- Toast Nigel Slater
- Prue Leith Cook’s Bible
- Wild Islands (Horrible Geography) Paperback – 6 Oct 2016 by Anita Ganeri (Author), Mike Phillips (Illustrator)
- Stormy Weather (Horrible Geography) Paperback – 3 Dec 2015 by Anita Ganeri (Author), Mike Phillips (Illustrator)
- Odious Oceans (Horrible Geography) Paperback – 3 Dec 2015 by Anita Ganeri (Author), Mike Phillips (Illustrator)
- Bloomin’ Rainforests (Horrible Geography) Paperback – 7 May 2015 by Anita Ganeri (Author), Mike Phillips (Illustrator)
- Raging Rivers (Horrible Geography) Paperback – 7 May 2015 by Anita Ganeri (Author), Mike Phillips (Illustrator)
- Collins School Atlas (Collins School Atlas) Paperback – 11 Feb 2016 by Collins Maps OR ANY OTHER ATLAS.
AQA GCSE (9–1) Geography Paperback – 29 Apr 2016 by John Widdowson (Author), Rebecca Blackshaw (Author), Meryl King (Author), Sarah Wheeler (Author), Simon Oakes (Author), Michael Witherick (Author)
GCSE 9-1 Geography AQA Revision Guide Paperback – 18 Jan 2018 by Tim Bayliss (Author), Rebecca Tudor (Author), Catherine Hurst (Author), Bob Digby (Series Editor)
GCSE Geography AQA Student Book Paperback – 1 May 2016 by Simon Ross (Author), Nick Rowles (Author)
Revise Edexcel GCSE (Pearson) in the following areas:
Early Elizabethan England, 1558 – 88
Weimar and Nazi Germany 1918 – 1939
Superpower relations and the Cold War, 1941 – 91
Warfare and British Society, c1250 – Present
https://corbettmaths.com/5-a-day/gcse Try the Higher Plus daily challenge to stretch you knowledge and skills. These daily questions cover a variety of skill areas, giving you good overall practice for all four topic areas.
https://www.mathswatchvle.com/ Watch the videos and complete worksheets.
https://www.missbresourses.com Go to the website, then hover over the resources and choose from the four topic areas within maths to access worksheets that have tasks you can try.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/z38pycw Get a better idea on how to tackle the new problem solving questions at GCSE. What to look for and how to break it down using their video help before having a go at a few questions. (make sure you choose Edexcel specification)
https://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-competitions/ Have a practice at the intermediate challenges from previous years. If you like try the Kangaroo.
http://nrich.maths.org/frontpage Choose ‘student’/‘secondary’ for challenging puzzles and conundrums to keep your brain sharp.
http://www.diagnosticquestions.com/ Sign up for free and tackle questions answered by thousands of other students and read why they answered it as they did avoiding common mistakes.
Performance Strategies for Musicians – David Buswell
The AB Guide to Music Theory Vol 1 – Eric Taylor
For GCSE PE the Hodder Education AQA textbook by Howitt & Murray (ISBN 9781471859526)
Read the BBC Sport website daily.
AQA Psychology for GCSE by Cara Flanagan
AQA Psychology by Mike Stanley
The Ultimate GCSE Biology Quiz Site
Clips on all topics from GCSE
Grammar and vocabulary:
Think of Conjuguemos as an online workbook for your Spanish. The site stores a large amount of practice activities, with more exercises added during the year.
Mary Glasgow Magazines available in L2.
All of the exercises provide some sort of immediate feedback, and they are not processed through an email program;
GCSE Bitesize: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/spanish/
Useful for reading and listening practice.
Lingolex: http://www.lingolex.com/spanish.htm – This site has lots of vocabulary and grammar lists.
University of Texas: http://www.laits.utexas.edu/spe/index.html – Audiovisual resources for all levels; from KS3 up to university and native level.
Watch or read the news in Spanish:
News in slow Spanish: http://www.newsinslowspanish.com/ -Excellent site for students with transcripts and translations of difficult vocabulary.
BBC Mundo: http://www.bbc.com/mundo
El País: http://elpais.com/ -One of the biggest newspapers in Spain.